Iron Works BBQ


During SXSW, there are long lines that extend to the end of the block at most quality barbecue joints. Iron Works BBQ is not immune to this either. They were my favorite barbecue joint in college. The delicious beef ribs probably skewed my opinion back then. Iron Works is located right by the convention center and numerous hotels in an old iron work shop. People who are in town visiting or for work can walk over to Iron Works. I do not know if that is a good or bad thing. Apparently this week during SX, they have smoked tofu. If I was not out of town, I might try it on this meatless Monday.


I got the sampler plate which came with three meats and a side of beans and potato salad. I added a beef rib to the meal. The brisket was smoky but dry. It did not have a lot going on for it. There was not enough flavor and almost roast beef like. The baby back ribs were solid. It had good smoke and a sweet glaze. I only ate one of them because I did not want to get overly full. The sausage was good. It had a nice grit and fat content. The sausage had a peppery flavor and was little spicy. They could have filled the sausage better because the casing was loose. The first time beef ribs were introduced to me was at Iron Works. I remembered it being one of the best things I have ever had. On this trip, they were good but not in the league of others out there. It had a sweet glaze like the pork rib. They did not have a lot of meat on them. These were beef back ribs instead of the beef short ribs you might get at other places. I guess they get this cut so it would be easier to smoke and would be cheaper as well. The ribs were smoky but could have stayed in the smoker a little bit longer. They were a little bit chewier and hard to bite off the bone. The beans and potato salad were forgettable.


Iron Works BBQ is average Texas barbecue. It seems like a touristy destination. The Salt Lick and them. A lot of celebrities have visited Iron Works over the years. I wish more of them were like Jimmy Kimmel. With all of the good barbecue in this area, I would skip Iron Works unless you wanted some barbecue for dinner. They are also closed on Sundays. Grade: Other

Until next time, happy smoking...

Address: 100 Red River St, Austin, TX 78701
Phone: (512) 478-4855
Website:
http://www.ironworksbbq.com/
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/Iron-Works-BBQ
Twitter: https://twitter.com/ironworksbbq

Comments

Popular Posts