Willie's Bar-B-Que


A few years, two barbecue joints in town were busted for buying stolen meat. Sam's Bar-B-Cue was one of them and the other was Willie's Bar-B-Que. I recently had the boudin sausage from Willie's and wanted some more of it. Willie's shares space with a barbershop and a gas station so you could easily miss it as you drive by.


You can only order the meat by the half pound so I went with a three-meat plate that is not listed on the menu. The plate came with moist brisket, pork ribs, and Elgin sausage with sides of potato salad and beans. I also added a link of boudin sausage. When I got my food, I looked down and saw a lot of the meats covered in barbecue sauce and seasoned salt. I thought that was a weird touch. The brisket was thinly sliced into small rectangular cuts. I did find an unscathed piece from the sauce and salt. The brisket tasted like smoky roast beef. There was not a whole lot of flavor so the seasoning salt and sauce did come in handy. The ribs were gray on the outside and pink on the inside. It was void of any flavor. Without the pink, I would have guessed the ribs were cooked in an oven the day before. The meat was tender and coming off the bone. The sausage had a nice spicy bite, but the casing was really chewy. It was beefy and a good amount of fat. The smoked boudin was definitely the highlight. The casing was snappy and could barely hold in the filling. The richness of the sausage played nice with the Cajun spices. I would have liked to see a little bit more meat in it because it was very heavy on the rice. There was nothing to note about the sides. Plain, bland, and probably store bought.


I do not know if I could trust a restaurant that would buy stolen meat. The word quality comes to mind. If you are taking a chance on your main product, what else are you willing to do? Willie's smoked boudin was solid, but I would rather go to Smokey Denmark for that. Grade: Other


Until next time, happy smoking...

Address: 4505 E Martin Luther King Jr Blvd, Austin, TX 78721
Phone: (512) 926-9340

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular Posts