Hometown Bar-B-Que (Revisit)


Our friend Amanda introduced us to the Hamilton musical back in August of last year. After a couple of listens, we were hooked and wanted to go to a show. Tickets were sold out through the middle of April! We found a Friday showing that worked for the three of us. It also split Amanda's and Amber's birthday. Perfect timing. I wanted to drop in at a couple of BBQ stops while we were in NYC as well. The first stop was Hometown Bar-B-Que. We went to Hometown back in December of 2014 and enjoyed it. I ditched the girls, had my subway/bus card ready to go, and headed to Red Hook. I had just missed owner/pitmaster Billy Durney when I got there.



I eat a ton of barbecue. Maybe not as much as some but definitely more than most people. Before getting there, I knew I wanted to try your not so average BBQ items. I ordered the pastrami bacon, Vietnamese hot wings, and the Chinese sticky ribs. Everything I got was smoked first then fried or grilled. I kept seeing the pastrami bacon plastered across social media and was jealous. I was finally getting to try it. It was wonderful. Bacon in general is already fantastic, but this took it to another level. My taste buds were very pleased. Each bite consisted of a smoky, rich, and tender meat. If you follow me on my social media accounts, you know I love Asian influences in barbecue. The Vietnamese hot wings surprised me in a good way. It was one of the better things I ate on that trip. There was a nice spice to it, and the cilantro ranch gave it nice balance. Eater even put up a video on to make the wings and the dip. Billy and crew uses baby back pork ribs for the Chinese sticky ribs. They were good and tasty. The meat was moist and easy to come off the bone. The sauce was on the sweeter side.


I wanted to check out the pits at their offsite location, a few blocks over but there was no one available. I wanted to see the pits that Aaron Franklin built for Billy. Maybe next time I am in NYC? It was a welcome change to eat something other than your Texas trinity. If you ever in the area, go check out Hometown Bar-B-Que. Get your traditional BBQ items or be adventurous and order the wings, tacos, and/or etc. Whatever it is, Billy and pit crew are doing great things in Red Hook/Brooklyn/NYC. He is also opening a fried chicken place soon.

Until next time, happy smoking...

Address: 454 Van Brunt St, Brooklyn, NY 11231
Phone: (347) 294-4644
Website: http://www.hometownbarbque.com/
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/hometownbarbque
Twitter: https://twitter.com/HometownBarBQue

Comments

Popular Posts